These are the cookies that are referenced in one of my poems and are simply perfect for the holidays or any special occasion.
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
a dash of salt
1½ cups granulated sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup sugar (for rolling)
2-3 tablespoons cinnamon
1. Adjust oven rack to top position and heat oven to 375. Then, whisk the flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl, and set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar (except the ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling) until creamy. Then, beat in eggs, vanilla, cream of tartar, and cinnamon (1 tsp). Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
3. Mix ¼ cup sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into a 1-inch balls; roll each ball in cinnamon sugar mixture before placing them 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
4. For soft cookies, bake until just set (8-9 minutes). Add an extra minute or so for a crispier cookie. Let cookies cool for a few minutes of the baking sheets before using a spatula to transfer to wire cooling racks.
5. Enjoy! Makes approx. 4 dozen cookies